Prestonfield's Environmental Policy
At Prestonfield we recognise that our activity can have an effect on the local and wider environment. We hope that by increasing our understanding of these effects, we can work with our increasingly ethically conscious guests, staff and suppliers to minimise these impacts whilst continuing to provide a memorable five-star experience for our guests.
To help Scotland become one of the world’s most environmentally-friendly destinations, Prestonfield has committed to a rigorous environmental action plan and the Green Tourism Business Scheme, a rigorous test of over 150 measures of environmental sustainability and an ongoing commitment to environmental responsibility.
Prestonfield’s environmental policy includes a commitment to;
- Continually assess and seek to improve our environmental performance, establishing a monitoring regime to measure our energy use, waste production and overall environmental performance.
- Be as efficient as we can with our energy use and consider ways of reducing our carbon footprint – we aim to further reduce our energy use by 10% over the next year.
- Consider ways to reduce our water use and to minimise any pollution.
- Minimise any waste we send to landfill by aiming to reduce, reuse and recycle it as most appropriate.
- Prestonfield is the first hotel in Scotland to recycle all food and organic waste, making it into compost and saving over 48 tonnes being sent to landfill this year.
- Continue to improve the garden, landscape and wildlife habitat at Prestonfield in line with its important designation within the Inventory of Designed Landscapes and Gardens and our existing biodiversity plan.
- Experiment with growing some more of our own produce at Prestonfield to add to the rhubarb, herbs and heritage tomatoes.
- Seek to maintain the historic buildings and contents at Prestonfield in line with our designation as an A-listed building of “national or international importance,” continuing to give these important historic buildings a vibrant long-term future.
- Encourage our staff to support our environmental aims, raise awareness of the environmental and financial costs of our actions and incorporate environmental actions into the day to day operation of the hotel and restaurant.
- Work with our suppliers to encourage and develop their sustainable business practices and seek to buy from local and/ or sustainable suppliers where possible.
- Work with our guests to find ways to help make their stay with us even more environmentally sustainable
- Comply with all relevant legislation.